Secrets in the Steam: Karen on Balinese Beauty Rituals
With a passport full of international stamps, our very own Karen Waage lives for traveling and discovering beauty rituals of the world. While not globetrotting, Karen can be found at our spa in San Francisco working her magic on clients of all skin types.
Can’t make it to Bali this year? Read on for Karen’s secrets in the steam:
Where in the world have you experienced the best facial?
Bali!! More for the uniqueness of the facial and the beautiful outdoor spa it was in!
What made it outstanding?
The Balinese incorporate the island’s riches into their treatments. Getting treatments was a great way to experience all that the island has to offer.
What are the skincare rituals of the Balinese?
The Balinese utilize the island’s treasures and foods such as honey, oatmeal and flower petals. What goes on their skin is what they eat at home.
For example during my traditional honey cucumber facial, oatmeal was used to exfoliate my skin while the honey softened my skin. Honey is a great antioxidant. The cucumber was used as a finishing mask for its cooling, tightening and moisturizing properties. I had a rose petal bath following the facial. Rose is a wonderful anti depressant and astringent treatment.
Throughout your travels, have you found common elements across the cultures you’ve experienced?
I’ve found that no matter who you are or where you are women (and men) all over the world have beauty rituals. It’s inspiring to me that all women have this in common. Though the ingredients may be different, beauty rituals are something that are passed down to children and grandchildren, etc. So, it’s important for us to think about what we are passing down!
What have you learned from your travels?
I have learned to appreciate and embrace what you have, but be open to finding new ways to incorporate other culture’s practices into your own skincare ritual.
For instance, the Balinese women use ingredients from their own kitchen. There are skincare gems at our fingertips that we often overlook!
What are your 3 essential skincare products?
1. Skinceuticals Phloretin CF: Preventative care that creates a strong foundation and fights free radicals.
2. In Fiore Lustra: With crushed organic flower petals, it’s the most beautiful exfoliant I have gotten my hands into! Along with exfoliating, it has great hydrating and detoxifying properties, which will leave your skin glowing like you wouldn’t believe.
3. Arcona Night Worker: Perfect for outdoor types and dry skin. A night serum packed with Vitamin C and fruit enzymes that helps hydrate and promote collagen production. Collagen is important for everyone. Collagen breaks down faster with sun exposure, so it is important to protect your skin while out in the sun!
What are your top 3 skincare rules to live by?
1. Never go to bed with a dirty face
2. Always use preventative treatments
With secrets in the steam,